Rocket Interceptors and the SR53.
- The SR53 interceptor story.
- Technical data about the aircraft.
- A picture gallery.
- There was also a follow on design, the SR 177.
- They both fell victim to the 1957 Defence White Paper, but Saunders Roe had plans to make the SR53 into another X-15!
- Saunders Roe also draw up a design for the ultimate interceptor, the F.155.T, or P187. This would have been the very behemoth of rocket aircraft at 96,000lb weight!
- It became almost a tradition in the Air Ministry, after the cancellation of project after project, to write a summary of the history of each one as seen by the Ministry. This is the semi-official history of the SR53 and SR177.
Return to the UK Space Page.